Recommended by Christine Cronau: A nutritionist, bestselling Author, and Speaker.
Masa flour is made by finely grinding corn that has been prepared by soaking in lime and water (making it easy to digest). It is the traditional flour used in Mexican cooking. Christine uses masa flour to make beautiful gluten free tortillas, which can be used in burritos, tacos, or simple wraps.
Masa flour features in many of her quick, easy, family friendly recipes
- Traditional Mexican Tortillas (Pictured) – Prep time 20 mins
- Corn Chips (Pictured) – Prep time 15 mins
- Potato & Corn Fritters – Prep time 15 mins
- Fried Eggs with Zucchini and Sweet Potato Fritters – Prep time 10 mins
- Corn Bread – Prep time only 15 mins, Bake time 45 mins
- Chicken Wraps (Using Tortilla recipe) – Prep time 10 mins
- Burritos (Using Tortilla recipe) – Prep time 15 mins
Many thanks to Christine for allowing us to share this recipe from her book:
Traditional Mexican Tortillas Recipe
Preparation time: 20 minutes with a tortilla press (Serves 4)
1 cup masa flour
3/4 cup water
- Heat a cast iron frying pan while preparing the tortillas (low/medium heat).
- Mix ingredients, and roll into small balls (approximately 2 1/2 cm in diameter)
- If using a tortilla press, place to pieces of plastic on either side of the ball, and press. Turn the tortilla a few times and press again.
- If not using a press, place the ball between two large plastic bags. Roll with a rolling pin, continually turning and rolling until the tortilla is flat.
- Peel the plastic off the tortilla, and place it carefully in the hot pan (place the tortilla in your hand, and flip your hand over, so the tortilla lands flat in the pan). * Note: If the tortilla bubbles up immediately, the pan is too hot.
- After about 30 seconds, turn the tortilla (once the edges are starting to lift). Cook on the other side for about 30 seconds, and then place inside a towel (to soften) until ready to serve.
Still eat within your carb tolerance, just like you would of you were consuming berries (and perhaps cream) for example.
Please remember, the linked recipe is for 4 people and Christine Cronau recommends you would serve with something like: chicken, tomato, homemade her LCHF mayo, red onion and baby spinach.
Hope this helps.
Buy two copies of The Fat Revolution, and get the second for $5!
Buy one for yourself and give one to a friend. Or, purchase multiple copies for birthday or presents.
Buy The Fat Revolution & The Fat Revolution Cookbook for a discounted price! Save 15!
After struggling with her own weight and health, Christine transformed her body and her health and spent over ten years researching the facts about food and fats. The results are evident in her engaging, ground-breaking books about dietary truths that have been ignored by conventional health authorities. Christine’s revolutionary work is captivating and easy to read; a fascinating look at how we have reached such mistaken consensus about health.